Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class: Mage (40)
    Disposition:

Oblivion

Post  Gazray4699 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:40 am

Some may like it, some may not. It's not free unless you torrent it but it's amusing all the same.

Oblivion for me is the ultimate adventure RP game. Yes, sometimes it may be limited in some areas and other times be glitchy and irritating, but where else can you find a game that allows your mage (Who normally has to dress in pansy robes and at the biggest stretch, leather armour) to run around in massive, spiky heavy armour?

Most of all though, the glitches are amusing if you know how to exploit them. For example, I've found a glitch with telekinesis that had me roaring with laughter. Mainly because it allows you to lift objects and make them fly back and forth. If you put it in a corner, it starts jumping around while being held and then, when I let go, flew across the room, hit a maid in the side of the head and killed her. The object in question was a tan plate.

Then there's the strange glitches that occur with some enchanted items. Like a sword enchanted to do 5 points of fire damage on strike. Then I found out that when you hit a character with it, they not only die but fly in the air and land an astonishing amount of distance away.

And it's just so funny to use console cheats to make your character superhumanly strong and go around killing people and taking over the entire country.

My latest character is the most amusing one for me. He is the Holy Crusader, Arch-Mage and Master of the Fighters Guild, not to mention the upcoming saviour of Cyrodiil. The ironic part? He's a vampire who runs around in black leather armour and causes chaos.

You just can't go wrong with it and even if you do, the results can be side-splittingly amusing.

My congratulations to Bethesda Softworks for another great game.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Re: Oblivion

Post  Dio on Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:27 am

Mabye it's because I loved the predecessor, the above pictured Morrowind, but I don't think that Oblivion holds quite the same brilliant charm that Morrowind did, I mean I absolutely adored exploring Morrowind, sure it was mostly desolate plains, but said plains were populated by the weirdest of beings, floating blimp-creatures - the Nytch and Bipedal top-heavy Dinosaurs - the Guars (Which I even found a online fanclub for at one point). Head east in Oblivion and all you'll find is more towns that look exactly like the one you just left, but head east in Morrowind and you'll soon be roaming through island temple towns, and even cities grown out of giant mushrooms! I mean, as you can probably guess from my arguement i'm a 'explorer' gamer, I like to hunt around for new intresting things to laugh my head off at in a game, I mean I know how to walk to the pyrimids flawlessly in Dungeon Siege from the starter town without using the quick-hub, and I learnt the whole of Ragnarok Online's map manually by running around the whole damn thing! Personally I find Oblivion to be rather dull, you head out the door and you can fast travel freely to any location, infact from the time it actually takes to run anywhere i'm pretty sure the developers -wanted- you to use fast travel, might explain the lack of 'stuff' in general in the wilds, appart from a few preset encounter types theres not much veriety.

Oblivion gives you the following; Oblivion Gates (Themeatic Dungeons that allways have the same overall objective), Ruins (White marble buildings with Traps, undead and mabye a bandit or two on the higher levels), Caves (Filled with Rats, Imps and later on Dryads), Bandit Camps (2 to 3 bandits normally) and castle ruins which are just like the other ruins but usually with more bandits.

Morrowind offers a more intresting selection; Hive Mines (Because the risk of collapses wasn't enough, half the mines in morrowind are also occupied with the local giant insectile race's colonies), Pirate Hideouts (Usually near a waterway, expect slavers and slaves), Slave Emplantments, Cultist Dens, Tribal Camps (Like bandit camps, but with more people), Dweomer Ruins (Giant Mechanical structures full of Aggressive Anchient Mecha.), House Crypts (You guessed it, undead and traps!).

I like customisation however, so i'll totally forgive oblivion of it's faults because it offers a wider array of... Oh wait, It doesn't offer a wider array of character options. Whats this? Morrowind has Medium Armor, Spears, Throwing Weapons, Crossbows and get this... A Game Editor which allows you to customise the whole game along with the game it'self, Oblivion can suck on my bawlz with it's 'official mods' because Morrowind has player mods which provide everything from pets to houses to hair to armor.

Oh and Morrowind has cooler armor design, bugger Oblivion's glass armor, it's shitty.

ps. I'm watching you.... SCUM.
    Gazray4699
    Seargent
    Seargent

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Disposition:

Post  Gazray4699 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:51 am

Although you make some good points and can argue well for Morrowind (I liked it a lot too, it's what got me to go on to Oblivion), I found that Morrowind lacked in some places. Maybe it's because I got the Xbox version instead of the PC version but I found the graphics to be less than perfect and the map itself was very hard to use. When you had to find a new place, it was often hidden somewhere which was rather like a maze of the same type of land. Plus, seeing as I had the Xbox version, I didn't have the advantage of a player construction set. So maybe Morrowind is the better game.

But I prefer Oblivion for the simple facts that the graphics are astounding. I've never seen a game where you can look into the distance and see the land lift and fall, even the roads lining the land. The whole scenery, although at closer look isn't that impressive, is so detailed when you look at it from afar. To be able to climb to a mountain top and look across Cyrodiil on a clear day is an impressive feat for me.

Though I do agree with you that the armour design was better on Morrowind. Glass armour, although I thought it was too pansyish for my tastes, looked much more impressive on Morrowind. However, on Oblivion, it seems to excel in weapons. You can actually see the blood on your sword when you hit and even on the bodies, you can see the cuts, even if the bodies do act a lot like a rubber mannikins, which makes it the more amusing for me.

And the storyline was so much more in-depth. You feel involved and get a lot more associated with your character.

So, for me, Oblivion is the better game though I agree some parts of Morrowind could have been used too. For example, I miss the levitation spells. If someone can give me a chance to look for Morrowind on the PC, I'll gladly take up the challenge. After all, both games are equally good.

As for now, I think I shall torrent Spore. I haven't tried it yet.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Number of posts : 1605

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:28 am

Erm...not as fan then? :P

I never played Oblivion but I mucked about with Morrowind for a wee while and quite enjoyed it.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:33 am

Valid points, though if it's character depth i'll have to put up an arguement.
    Oblivion essentially negates allot of what I thought was the best plots.

Firstly, Thieves guild.
    Lets face it Oblivion's guards aren't up to standard, infact Morrowind's AI was supirior when it came to the town watch, I mean in Oblivion it seems to think that unless you sell to a 'fence' directly people are totally going to be able to tell that you stole some cup from Grom over in the Market District, However Morrowind handles this far better, Stolen items can be sold to -anyone-, try and sell it to the person you stole it from though and well... Better have a sword ready. The thieves guild actually had you steal things of -worth- too, where as in oblivion it's all about hauling back loot to be sold off and your rank is determined by how many cups you've nicked, in Morrowind your guild boss tell you exactly what he wants, he sends you off to steal the heirloom of a lord or such, it's a proper 'Mission set' rather than just 'Go grab cups' bullshit.

secondly, the Legion.
    Why not be a guard? You can actually work your way up the ranks and gain a title, sure Oblivion has it's whole 'Knight Errant' quest set but thats pish, theres no depth it's just 'Go kill some bandits', 'Go get me some bandit's bows' and then you have to wait untill X unknown variable before a bulter walks up to you in another town and requests you to go see his lard/lady. Bollocks mechanics. I worked my way up the ranks of the legion being sent out to recover dweomer tech or save a town from a angry beasty, if they felt like being asshats they sent me to grab something that some ass had left next to the hive queen of a certain mine's insect locals.

Oh, and the dark brotherhood is for killing, not joining. >:3
    Additionally I note that while yes you can be a vampite in Oblivion, i'm fairly sure you can be in Morrowind too, actually fuck that i'ld rather be a Warewolf, Thats right, a warewolf! You get to rip people appart the manly way!
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:34 am

mcmicken wrote:Erm...not as fan then? :P

I never played Oblivion but I mucked about with Morrowind for a wee while and quite enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
    I'm just trolling my friend here so he posts more. ;)
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:55 am

You misspelled both Vampire and Werewolf.

On a more related note, I never played morrowind, I did play abit of Oblivion, and to be honest, I didnt like it much.
    Maybe its just not my genre, I dont know, I just never liked the "FPS" way it was, also got annoyed that everyone knew whenever I stole something, even if no one actually saw it.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:06 pm

Ach nein! Ein Grammar Nazi!
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:56 pm

mcmicken wrote:Ach nein! Ein Grammar Nazi!

Actually that'ld be spelling, not grammer...
    Besides, I think KingK has good reason to get annoyed when I can't spell, I mean he's not even from a country with the english mother tongue and he speaks it better than most people who are, Kind of shameful for our populace.

ps. Your~ Money or your~ life!
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:02 am

Im actually not good at grammar at all, I learn sentences one by one, also please dont use german, I never learned that properly (mainly because I wasnt listening at all during the lessons xD)

Last edited by KingK on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:11 am

KingK wrote:Im actually not good at grammar at all, I learn setences one by one, also please dont use german, I never learned that properly (mainly because I wasnt listening at all during the lessons xD)

Good news; Neither was I! Very Happy
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:37 pm

If it's any consolation the only phrase I can remember is ach nein...

That means oh no just in case no-one knew.

Just make German sounding noises and you're probably speaking German.
    Gazray4699
    Seargent
    Seargent

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Disposition:

Post  Gazray4699 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:05 am

After playing Oblivion for a while, I finally decided to play the Shivering Isles expansion where you get to meet Sheogorath, the Daedric prince of Madness who you do the burning dog quest for.

Let me just say I've never laughed so much apart from the time Dio showed me some very amusing anime pictures.

For instance, when you try to attack Sheogorath, he simply gets up, hits you with his staff and sits down again. You think "Wow... dissapointing mu-" and then realise your character is falling from a very great height onto a hidden mountain shrine. Needless to say, unless you have God Mode on, you are shortly going to be flatter than a pancake.

Then he sends you on some highly amusing quests, often without even telling you the full story, merely stupid things. His basis seems to be mostly "Go because I said so"

I think the best quest has to be where you play Lego with a giant flesh atronach which is to say, you have to gather ingredients and then select which body parts you want for this being.
    Katsumi_Nara
    Seargent
    Seargent

Number of posts : 84
    Registration date : 2008-10-20

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class: leveL dna ssalC
    Disposition:

Post  Katsumi_Nara on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:53 am

I disagree with your opinion of "Best Quest"

The Dark Brotherhood manor quest where you have to try and kill 5 people without any of them seeing you kill each other.

Or just the Dark Brotherhood quests in general kick ass
    Gazray4699
    Seargent
    Seargent

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Disposition:

Post  Gazray4699 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 pm

True, they are. Though I think killing a man by dropping a moose head on his head is amusing.
    Katsumi_Nara
    Seargent
    Seargent

Number of posts : 84
    Registration date : 2008-10-20

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class: leveL dna ssalC
    Disposition:

Post  Katsumi_Nara on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:17 am

Yup

Though for some reason the one where you have to use the Rose of Sithis arrow to kill the head of the imperial guard didn't work for me, I waited till he was swimming, shot him, and his armour appeared back on him and him and 12 guards attacked me
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:53 am

Broken quests: