Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Valkyria Chronicles

Post  Dio on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:15 pm

It's an Strategy RPG,
    Good times.

For anyone who's played Fire Emblem (I'm looking at you venion) you'ld notice similarities in the general combat detail, However the overall playstyle takes away from the obvious flat layout the previously mentioned title has, since when your making your moves your not viewing from you high horse overhead looking down at the battle map. (You get plenty time to have a scan whenever your not charging enemy lines though, don't worry.)

I think the nicest touch is the way that each of your squad have unique traits which affect them in battle, Take for example Jann who is highly 'FABULOUS', (no seriously, his response to being recruited is 'Hello Soldier! <3') and he gets bonuses when 'showing off infront of the other guys'. Likewise you get his polar opposite Dallas who gets the same bonuses for having women around, except she also gets detriments if she's got too many blokes lurking nearby. It makes you have to take in the individual members' squad dynamics into account.

Throw in the fact your playing as the underdog versus the big bad Imperial
    Spoiler:
    Read: Nazi
    army who've got more than a few wagons full of superweapons up their sleeves and you've got a good game going on.

Personal impressions...
    I'ld have to say that my favourite thing as noted is the fact each 'character' has their own 'character' to them, if you catch my meaning. Personal favourite units are Jane Turner the sadist (Almost all traits cause damage boosts), Hannes the human brick (Memorable quotes include: 'SHOOTING TIME!!' "DIEING TIME!!" 'YOUR DEAD!!' "NAP TIME!!") and of course Edy Neilson (Pronounced 'Ee-d-ee') the wanna-be showgirl. I admit my liking to her is mostly due to her almost single-handedly storming a whole tank-infested castle by herself for me on a more than one occasion, and for being the only 'Stormtrooper' i've ever ehard of that is scared of running at people.
    I mean even the main character (Welkin, Not Alicia - She sadly is cliche, also fondly dubbed 'Stupid Bint' by my brother.) manages to get away with being a overly sentimental twat by being 'That weird guy' and complementing peoples dress sense by comparing them to beetles before dragging them off to fight a war and putting shit in their hands occasionally (Literal meaning there).
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Re: Valkyria Chronicles

Post  KingK on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:48 pm

If its the game I think it is, I didnt like it much.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:47 am

Not to be confused with Valkyrie Profile.

Didn't know you had a PS3 KingK. <.<;;
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:06 pm

I dont, seems I was thinking of a different game, and thus my opinion of Valkyria Chronicles is yet to be decided.

I looked it up tho, seems to have gotten good ratings.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:14 am

Bought myself a PSP and got Valkyria Chronicles 2,
    it's actually pretty good! They've done allot of improvements to the combat systems.
    The plot is cheezy at shit though, thankfully I don't have to put up with the main characters as much as I used to since only the central hero gives me extra command points (For now).

Basically that means i'm free to go tanking in with a squad of the new side-characters for the squad, oh and Maximillian, Edy, Marina, Lynn, Isara, Faldio, Jann, Homer, Susie and Selvaria from the last game.

Spoiler:
    Note to self; Don't let Faldio near a sniper rifle this time.

I hear you get more of Squad 7 for beating the game and achieving ingame goals, appreciated callbacks include you having the same damn drill instructor and he gives Jane a shoutout in-dialogue, Huzzah! Oh, and theres a certain Breadmaker and her husband on campus now and then too; the latter of which is your new order instructor.
    Outie
    Squadron Leader
    Squadron Leader

Number of posts : 402
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Roleplay
    Class: Old One
    Disposition: Sleeping

Post  Outie on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Think I should get around to finish this game sometime, I stopped when I got to the first desert map
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:56 pm

The Fastest wrote:Think I should get around to finish this game sometime, I stopped when I got to the first desert map

VC1 Right?
    Thats actually a really fun map in my oppinion, great for both speed running for your A-Rank clears and for getting into a bogged down battle so you can unlock some potentials. It's even one of the skirmish maps you get to play freely.

Spoiler:
    Which is good I guess, since the next mission is a bitch and a half - the first hard as nails mission you'll get in the game. Massive Enemy Tank? Check. It's near invincible? Check. Enemy Valkyria? Check. She's Invincible? Check.

Protip: Zerg rush the big tanks' machineguns at first, rely on a snipers and shocktroopers to deal with the first wave of enemy soldiers - Then have them fall back to the last camp. Have a scout use grenades to block the path for the main tank, take out the first engine with a lancer and take the unit off the tank again so it doesn't get crushed. By the time you take out your second engine you have to have some snipers with high accuracy ready to take out a enemy squad - which comes with Selvaria who is invincible and highly dangerous - she follows the behemoth so use Edelweiss to pin her in a corner. Then go to town on the Behemoth with some lancers.

Valkyria Chronicles has some major improvements on the first game, first off your units all have a development tree so they can 'class up' into improved unit types - The Gunner for Shocktroopers is my current favourite since it can intercept EVERYTHING.

Well everything except that prick Baldren, fucking hell what a batard unit he is. He runs farther than a Vetran Scout, has a Flaming Ban-Hammer and Tower Shield when he's attacking, has a Machine Gun when your trying to move - and unlike Selvaria he can kill tanks. IN ONE HIT.

My current lineup is:
    Spoiler:
    Scouts:
    Helmut
    Melissa*^
    Scout Vetrans:
    Nichol
    Shocktrooper Vetrans:
    Zeri*
    Anisette*^
    Marion
    Gunners:
    Avan*
    Pete*^
    Franca*^
    Lancers:
    Noel
    Coleen
    Maximilian*
    Engineers:
    Cosette
    Randy
    Magari
    Vicky*^
    Armor Techs:
    Mischlitt
    Alexis
    Tank:
    Lavinia (Medium Tank)*

Selvaria also got used allot before I had her unassigned.

*Units with a Star are my top deployment units.
    ^Unit with a Arrow have had their Personal Mission Unlocked.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:04 pm