Number of posts : 3606
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

PS3 shopping times~

Post  Dio on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Every so often I go out and grab myself a few games from the pre-owned section at gamestation,
    so if anyones intrested I can start making comments on each game to give you an idea of whats a bargin and whats not.

Then again, I'm not sure if anyone else even has a PS3, but I guess not all of the games'll be platform specific.
    Anyway, latest two games; "Assassin's Creed" + "Kane & Lynch - Dead men"

I'm too damn tired to write much today, fingers hurt like hell from gaming sprees.
    Also just ran out of adrenaline and caffine,
    Blargh~~~
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Number of posts : 1605

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Re: PS3 shopping times~

Post  mcmicken on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:34 am

It would be pretty interesting to here your opinions on them. Despite the fact I don't own a PS3.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:41 am

I've completed Assassin's Creed on Xboxs 360 (I dont presume the game's different) and I liked the story, and randomly backstapping guards.

The "missions" are abit generic, but it never really bothered me much for some reason, and when the sequal comes, I'll buy it.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:16 am

Assassin's Creed
    Completion Time: Main Plot(Under a week.) Fully(God knows)

Ok, so I picked up assassin's creed sometime within the last week or so, can't remember when but I know I finished the main plot in under a week. I'ld say it's got a good, if short, plot to it which i'll elaborate on soon enough. The game does seem to have replayability, however the mechanic it'self gets repedative before the game finishes so i'm not sure if you'ld bother unless you felt you needed something to do.

Ok, so here's the lowdown of the plot; You start the game as the cover art assassin in a weird distorted environment, however within the first 1-3 minutes of 'Play' your suddenly Generic Mc Man, wearing a white hoody and jeans and stuck in a whitewash lab. It's quickly and rather roughly detailed to you that you used to work as a assassin but are now a bartender, however none the less Something-corp (I forget the name) has had you kidnapped and you've been locked up with a pair of goons (Who play the good-cop/bad-cop roles I guess) who intend to jam you in a suntanning stand and read your 'DNA Memories' of an assassin from the past.
    So, lacking anything better to do (appart from serving drunks more booze at work assumably, but who enjoys that?) you hop into your makeover machine and your on your way to being Hoody Mc Assassin, The rest of the game then runs off the cycle of being in the machine and finding info on assassination targets and then killing the target, and being outside the machine and stealing pens.

The whole assassinating gig is allright, you start the game with 'all your shit' but then plot within memory-land steals it away and slowly dribbles it back onto you like a puppy with a bladder problem as you kill more key victims and make the game piss it's pants. You all know the situation from other titles i'm sure.
    You've a few main ways of killing people available to you;
    Stealth/Prone-enemy neck stabbing with a hidden blade,
    Long-Swording when exposed,
    Short-Swording when exposed and you've been using throwing knives,
    and as suggested above - using throwing knives. (1 hit kill if your stealthed or using them on a archer)
    As the game goes on it becomes less about sneaky-killings and more about just grinding through all the guards as i've noticed the game mechanic fails to do anything to disadvantage you when you've been exposed allot, Infact your better practacing combat a little as the last 3 major kills are all lead up to with big fights.

So, The game is just about killing people? Yeah prettymuch, Theres a few 'other' things you can do however.
    Cartography! Climb certain high buildings and scan the area to adapt your mini-map!
    Flag collecting! Be an ass and find all the oddly located flags of the local armies and such-sort for no apparent reason! additionally you get a few time-trial flag collections off informants which are basically linear rooftop speed-runs!
    Save-the-day-hero-ing! Rescue monks and women (Yes, only monks and women) from the clutches of evil goons intent on infinatly playing human ping-pong with their hapless victims like the true villians they are. (Villians of this sort come in english and gibberish-foriegn speaking types.)
    Pickpocketing! Because you can never have enough (despite the 5>20 carrying capacity limit) of throwing knives! Additionally you get to steal allot of letters off random guys in the same fashion!
    Muggings! Sometimes you just find this one guy (Or mabye they're all brothers, what the hell they look the same anyway) that you've just got to smack the shit out of! He usually gives you information and then you stab him like the good samaritan you are!
    By the time you've done the main plot all you'll have to do is find and steal flags though.

Anyway, lets sum this up!
    Pro's; Kill dudes! Freerun over arabic cities and reminice about those good old prince of persia games you yourself didn't play! Be an ass to the knight templar by stealing their flags and stabbing them in the face! Be a cool dude like Dio and wear obscene amounts of white! Make comments about the horses and how they're inferior to the one from Shadow of the collosus before catapulting yourself over the city walls with them!
    Con's; You run out of cool new things to do by about the 3rd job! You don't get the babe despite saving the day(Or did you?)! You can only run when your an assassin! You don't get to kill the king of england! Soldiers become a trivial matter once you get all the counter-attacks! Falling off two equally high buildings - One fall may only take off two bars of health - The other might kill you!

Oh and finally;
    You can jump, flip, and do all sorts of amazing athletic feats HOWEVER....
    You cannot swim. ;( Your lower than a damn 5 year old!
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:07 am

Hmm, nice. I've always fancied a shot of one of these PoP style games where you can freerun. See if any of them are any good. Pity a few games developers don't see the Wii as a "proper games console" and just an excuse to get Granny shaking her thang in the middle of the room. Bastards...
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:27 am

Mmmn, dunno if it's 'Good news' but I think the next monster hunter title is coming your way McMicken.
    Well, I liked the original anyway.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:31 am

I read that somewhere actually. It looks quite nice and shiny. I just hope they don't make it too gimmicky like most Wii ports.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Enchanted Arms
    Platforms: 360, PS3.
    Notes; PS3 version has extra stuff, However 360 has limited multiplayer.

Ok, first up I'ld like to note how sarcastically steriotypical I found the first section of the game's plot, which is most of what i've played thus far. Second up i'ld like to toast the fact you can replace your main character in your party lineup with a minigun wielding maid.

Everything about this game is generic, it's literally the perfect example of a '5/10' JRPG game, personally I think it gains points for letting you do a reasonable amount of party configuration, but overall doesn't allow enough to allow such to provide a high score. Likewise the introduction seems to suffer from those repedative breaches of the 4th wall that afflicts some games without so much of a blink of an eye or a whiff of particular satire.
    Infact the whole ingame need to tutor you on every thing no matter how similar two tasks are is a bit annoying, example swimming is 100% like walking, but they explain it in full anyway.

Sounds tedious doesn't it? Well sometimes introductions are like that, I mean they musn't have much experience in the area, the only people credited on the box is ubisoft and that suggests the developer is so smalltime they weren't worth mentioning on the back of the box or that it's a little side production of aforementioned company, which means cheap writers etc.

Ok, so whats there to like in this game then? Well, as I mentioned it's quite customisable, but once you get into detail that drops off. You've a good 136 units to unlock and play with in the PS3 version to my knowledge (Xbox only has 104 though), 2 of which are only for the start of the game and 4 of which are the main character squad (How do I know? They're on box art!). You've two types of unit, 'Humans' which are more customisable and unlock skills etc but of which you only get a minimal number (Mostly since they're plot characters), and 'Golems' which are actually to begin with your enemies in the game but which you can acquire a single model of each type by either buying the bits, finding the bits for them in a box or finding a nice semi-friendly one to smash and collect the parts from, you then take them to your 'Diamond' shaped shop point and build into your new units of destruction.
    Your squad seems sadly to be limited to only 4 of these varied units at a time, with no mid-battle switch out options. My current squad consists of a dark knight, a maid, a female soldier and a main character.

So, throwing aside the main character at earliest possible point I ventured into the depths of the first dungeon with my trusty minigun wielding maid and found the ice-queen super-golem-thing which is quite clearly mr abandoned main character's arch-nemesis for the rest of the mainstay of the game, they own my unneccisary cohorts and we're waking up in the prison over in the next city over having after frosty-bint deep freezed noobsville. We're introduced to the leggy Karen (I think thats her name) and then Big-Shoulders-guy who is your only human from this point on with a proper melee weapon to my knowledge. You escape, join(Or don't join) a terrorist cell and bugger back off to the now icecapped noobsville.
    Don't ask me what happens next, i'm trying to reach that bit now.

Over this portion of the game the dialogue is a bit dull, getting a little overdramatic here and there at 'key moments' with good old "NOOOOOOO"s, "FRIEND'S-NAME!"s and of course main-character martyr-dialogue syndrome, Also did I mention Karen is a tsundere? Just like half the girls in new Anime/J-Games these days because it's just so trendy, ja?
    On the plus side you get to see your preppy starter-friend's gay follower get crushed by the snowball dame's big crystal balls.

anyway.

Score: 1/2
    It's an RPG without much flair, it's just another RPG. It does what it does fine enough, and doesn't suffer from too many gimmicks. I'ld say it's like the 121st session of masterbation in a man's life, "Enjoyable, but nothing special and not really all that exciting, definently nothing worth writing home about."
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:57 pm

Hmm, looked decent when I saw my friend play in on xbox360.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:04 pm

KingK wrote:Hmm, looked decent when I saw my friend play in on xbox360.

As I said, it's ok. It's fun enough to play and it avoids getting repedative by giving you plenty of team combinations to muck about with. Other than that meh.

Also, in PS3 I think if you press either R1 or R2 you can dance.
    Yes, dance.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Any game with a dance button is worth a pop.

But I find most JRPGs I've played are relatively similar anyway..
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Hrm, was playing Enchanted Arms to waste today.
    It did a chromartie-esque joke at one point; refusing to allow a minor character to introduce himself.
    Not much else remarkable, appart from telling me how to get into mine-carts.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Ok, a weekend of hanging around with McMicken has left me with 2 new PS2 games and 1 PC game.

We have;
    Saints Row 2 (PC)
    Beyond Good and Evil (PS2)
    The Red Star (PS2)

Anyone curious about any of said titles?
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Roleplay

Post  KingK on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:37 pm

I already tried Saints Row 2 on xbox, so the 2 others.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Ok, so far i've only played The red star out of the two others,
    It's a reletively decent arcade-esque game which switches between sections of running through levels mowing down foes as they present themselves in a goldenaxe or streets or rage esque style, though in 3D unlike the affore mentioned games.
    Additionally it also switches to a heads-down view during most boss fights which have a a striking resemblance to stripped down versions of touhou. Basically you dodge bullets while shooting at a helicoptor/tank/trait/whatever and on later levels it also throws in enemies to fight while you dodge and shoot. Though most bullet formations are hardly comparable to the bullet hell classic it'self's showers of death.

What mostly made this a 'Good Game' for me was that it fully supports (Unlike most PS games) CO-OP play on a single console, An attribute most PS games are lacking in, or atleast in the titles I was able to find on the high street/my cupboard.
    It's quite fun to do the whole two-man army with a pal since it livens up the combat sections quite a bit and it lets you have less offensive/defensive blind spots when doing things in the boss fights.

Edit:
    Oh yeah, fergot to mention. I also got Eternal Sontana for the PS3 a while back.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun May 31, 2009 10:08 am

Seems like a decent enough game. Plot leaves a lot to be desired and the voice acting is pretty shocking. But yeah, cool fun if you go through it co-op. It's kinda Tales of Symphonia on the multiplayer in that everything can be done with one player no problem but it's quite a cool little addition. Also means you can have friends.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 am

mcmicken wrote:Seems like a decent enough game. Plot leaves a lot to be desired and the voice acting is pretty shocking. But yeah, cool fun if you go through it co-op. It's kinda Tales of Symphonia on the multiplayer in that everything can be done with one player no problem but it's quite a cool little addition. Also means you can have friends.

I take it your talking about Eternal Sonata?
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:09 am

Aye.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Now that i've someone to bitch at the plot alongside and a character that doesn't just require you to smash buttons i've come to like the game, Really if your going to get this game then putting Viola in your party as soon as possible is a must.

For all the folks that don't know, currently our E.S. party is this;
    Map-Navigation & Viola : Dio
    Frederick & Beat : mcmicken
    if you want to know what these names mean then read the manga Wiki

I had a little skim around online and it seems that theres outfits for Pola (2 of them), Alegretto and Beat.
    The Polka one i've seen looks a bit silly, she doesn't suit green in my opinion.
    Allegretto's costume is better than his original, it replaces his original cruddy blue jacket with a brown-leather thing.
    I've not seen Polka's 2nd or Beat's though.

So far the most retarded name is Claves, I'm sure it doesn't need explained but still...
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:55 am

Yeah, I think they were running out of ideas when they came up with her name...but seems to be the only accurate name to voice acting description so far.

/pathetic attempt at joke
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:22 pm

I see what you did there.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Reading comedy just doesn't have the same effect...I can't overact it afterwards.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Well all right,

Wooden! RIGHT!?
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Nah, that kinda ruined it for me...maybe it's just the fact the joke sucked ass to start with. Who knows?
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:49 pm

I guess I deserved that.