Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Reviews

Post  mcmicken on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:29 am

Kind of nicking this from Dio in the Video Games area, but just wondering if people either wanted reviews done by myself or by yourself of albums.

Just it seems that the only fully active thread in here is the "What Are You Listening To" topic.

I'll post a review of my own in the next couple of days to hopefully get the ball rolling and see what happens after that.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Re: Reviews

Post  Dio on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:15 pm

Care to discuss?
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:18 pm

Go for it, downloading now.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:00 pm

Tracks 1 and 2 just made me think "oh God, the recorder..." it's like the worst instrument ever!

Track 3 was interesting, first chord strums made it sound almost Johnny Cash-esque then it kind of went a bit more weird. Kind of what'd happen if you put a country-crooner in the same room as a recorder and gave them mushrooms...pretty cool actually.

Track 4, I just noticed how much reverb they've put on these damn recorders...I would've given them less personally but hell, artistic discretion. I actually like this track though, it sounds like the main line is/was meant to be a vocal melody. The 1st track on this album that actually made me think of Touhou.

Track 5 - raw as hell recording like...I'd almost say badly recorded but it might be intentional. I wish that trumpet line was harmonized. OH! I know this track Very Happy Respect. It doesn't have the same energy as the original but it has some energy and I think it's helped by the recording. I can't describe it, but there's something about this one I like.

Track 6 - old-school recording! I quite like the occasional crackle you get with this kind of thing. I don't think too much of the vocalist to be honest. She does the job and isn't an annoying anime girl voice but she doesn't do it for me. I have to say I quite like the arrangements of these songs so far. Plenty of space for the recorders to dance around each other.

Track 7 - is it just me or does the recorder come out of the speaker at you? It just seems to cut above the wee guitar (forget the name...) The percussion stuff is awesome. Sounds whoever made this track had fun with it. Really suits the jauntiness of the track actually.

Track 8 - uh-oh...sounds like something sad's happen(ed)(ing). Nothing too exciting though.

Track 9 - the cello sounds slightly out of tune in places...so do some of the recorders in bits actually. Poorly arranged, which is a bit of a shame 'cause it wants to be good. It sounds like it should be building up to something but there doesn't seem to be any change in volume to signal that. I'd say the song is probably at least a minute too long. That being said the last little melody was pretty cool.

Track 10 - what. the. absolute. fuck? Here we go! This isn't serious is it? Please tell me it's not. Funny as hell though. Probably the most I've laughed at Japanese vocals since the Cool&Create guy. This how bands should finish all albums.

Overall, actually quite impressed. At first I thought it was going to be typical recorder music, boring, linear, unispiring and annoying. But from track 3 onwards I got more into it. The last track just slayed me. xD
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Heh, I'ld love to make comments back at you but my tracks seem to have come out in a diffrent order or something...
    But yeah, The male vocal track, Thought you might like it, and it's... It.
    Most of the songs seem to use 'Necro Fantasy' (Ran's Theme) or 'Necrofantasia' (Yukari's Ver) as the song's basis.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:33 pm

Fair play. I actually went back and listened to my track 3 & 5 after going through it. It's not often I do that with these albums. Almost unheard of actually.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Anyway, heres one of those 'Lookback' albums that some bands do with songs of theirs they quite like from all over the place.
    I quite like the band and no one else is posting yet, so why not give their material a whack?
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:18 pm

I'll do that one tomorrow evening. Listening to Outlaw Country music at the moment.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Downloading now...it's gonna take like 40 minutes though.
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Roleplay

Post  Dio on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:28 pm

mcmicken wrote:Downloading now...it's gonna take like 40 minutes though.

Roger, i'll give it a good listen myself soon enough so I can throw back comments at you.
    Might be a bit of a long haul for this one, a good 20(+) tracks in there if I don't remember correctly
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Alrighty, let's roll.

Nice build up in the first track. I'm liking the synth sounds. Actually sounds like an intro through and through. Good arrangement. And when it kicks in, it's pretty good. The bit that starts at 2.55 is really bloody messy. I would've cut it out until 3.30ish personally.

2 - I like the simple driving ryhthm. This sounds insanely DDR to me. Uncannily so.

3 - ah, Jazzy. Pretty bog standard as far as this style of jazz goes. I'm not a fan of the brass/sax tone myself I'm assuming it's MIDI yeah?

4 - reminds me of a cross between PSone era and SNES era FF music along with other typical adventure music. I like the bit from 1.30 onwards though, where it chills out. Percussion in background annoys me, the stuff from about 2.30 to 3.00. The dynamics in this track were pretty good considering it's this type of album. It feels like it's moving and shifting.

5 - I like how they gradually bring the drums in but the snare sounds like ass (or a cross between a clap and a snare).

I'll do this much and stop for discussion. I'll be honest, I struggle with these albums because the genre keeps switching around from extremes so it's hard to tie any of them together with any sort of energy, story or suchlike. I'll keep going with it but it's always something that annoys me. Stick to one area you silly sods!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:04 pm