Number of posts : 173
    Registration date : 2009-05-08

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Books

Post  Not Jeff on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:48 pm

We all read 'em I'm assuming, if you have a favourite genre/author/book, please do share ^_^.

I pretty much stuck entirely to the sci-fi/fantasy section of book shops until the last year or two I decided to start trying to expand my book based horizons by starting off with the modern classics. Favourite non-fantasy book so far has been The Portrait of Dorian Gray, I love it and, some-what by proxy, now also love Oscar Wilde, although I've failed to read many of his plays so far =/. Another good modern classics author I like is Edgar Allen Poe, I normally hate horror in general but love the gothic horror of his short stories.

Favourite fantasy novelist would be hard to place, but since it he pretty much got me into reading outside of just a book for school, I'm going to have to go with Sir Terry Pratchett, it was Mort that started me on his works and reading, it is just such a great book, Death remains one of my favourite, if not my favourite character in the whole Discowrld series.

Anyway, like I say, anyone lese got books/authors they want to share?
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Re: Books

Post  mcmicken on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:25 am

I used to enjoy reading when I was younger but I've not really read a proper novel in a long time. Growing up I loved Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy (same as everyone else :P), The Wind on Fire trilogy (I think that was it at least...) by William Nicholson and this other quadrilogy by a guy called Philip Reeve (Mortal Engines, Predators Gold, Infernal Devices and A Darkling Plain). I loved those books for ages.

More recently as I said, I've not read many novels but Robert Rankin seems to be a hit everytime (Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse, Witches of Chiswick, Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls, The Da-da-dee-da-da Code). Very well written and really funny. Surprised the guy aint more famous. Also, an honourable mention to Roddy Doyle's "The Commitments". Quality read if you like music and Ireland.

The only things I find myself able to read these days are what most would consider "on-the-bog reading", little chunks that you can digest but don't have to commit too much time to. Charlie Brooker has a couple of books out which are basically compilations of his articles from The Guardian which have been pretty funny reading.

Things I find make a good book that I'll read (or used to at least) are elements of humour, adventure, mystery and sometimes a bit of a love interest so long as it isn't a tacky Hollywood style thing.
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:49 am

Warhammer 40k novels.

Its the only thing I care to read anymore, not counting manga as I dont presume that counts as "books".

I guess that'd fall under sci-fi.

Not Jeff
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  Not Jeff on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:37 am

I've only ever got around to reading one of the books based in the 40k universe, was a Gaunts Ghost novel, ummm, the Armour Of Contempt I'm pretty sure it was called. Felt a bit slow burning but I think part of that was the fact that the characters have been established over quite a few books and comics so a connection and interest in their stories seemed to be assumed.

mcmicken, you basically described Terry Pratchetts discworld books with your summary =P. I think you'd like Guards! Guards! alot.
    Hails
    Seargent
    Seargent

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Paladin
    Disposition: Lawful Good

Post  Hails on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:12 am

Ooo, I adore books! Especially fantasy/sci-fi and holocaust novels. Very Happy

I've read His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman 3x each, they're just so awesome and I learned something new every time I read them.

There's also the Books of Pellinor series by Allison Croggon which are totally awesome, by the way.

Then there's the author, Trudi Canavan; my favourite of hers is the Black Magician's Trilogy and the Magician's Apprentice that was written after it, though it's a prequel (read it after the trilogy, it's supposed to be that way), and then there's her other trilogy called The Age of the Five, and I'm now waiting for her to finish writing The Traitor Spy trilogy that comes as a sequel to the Black Magician's Trilogy.

Who could forget the trilogy by Garth Nix?! Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen, though he did write another book called Across the Wall to go with it, but it's not a formal novel. And there's another book called Shade's Children which is really cool.

I read the books by Stephanie Meyer; Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. I wouldn't say they're the best due to the gooey love in it, but they kept me reasonably entertained.

Dan Brown's books too! They're absolutely riveting. The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Deception Point and Digital Fortress.

I like the Doomspell Trilogy by Cliff McNish when I was a kid, and I'd definitely read them again!

Ooo! There's also Witch Child and The Sorceress by Celia Rees written sort of in the format of a diary. It's confusing sometimes, but in the end it's totally worth it.

I tried to read George R.R. Martin's books, but they're hugely descriptive and I'm currently stuck halfway through his second book. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, but I unfortunately don't have the time and patience to focus on them as of yet. I will some day!

Maria V. Snyder is also an awesome writer, I've only read the first book of the series and I'm hoping to get the money to by the sequels, but Poison Study was great.

I bought The Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson from ASDA, I ended up enjoying the contents of the novel, despite that it was a Countess who went to work as a servant girl in England but ended up happily ever after.

John Connolly's book The Book of Lost Things was a surprisingly excellent fairytale. I didn't expect it to be so good, but it's like a twisted version of current fairytale's and he's giving his perception of what the fairytales might actually be like in real life! It's great.

A book that makes me cry is one called The Last Children by Gudrun Pausewang. The librarian at High School gave it to me to read and tell her if it was good or not and it's like it gives the harsh reality of a Holocaust.

Another book I read a long time ago about a Holocaust, but suitable for children, was a book called Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence. It shows what happens during and after it has happened.

Various books I'm trying to read right now is The Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson, Darke Academy: Secret Lives by Gabrielle Poole and Kissed by and Angel by Elizabeth Chandler. I'll tell you lot how they go!
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Post  Dio on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:09 am

Actually as a weird sort of rebellion against the rest of my familly who're all exceedingly bookish people it's very rare that I touch paper based litriture other than manga, though I do have a few proper books squirreled away here and there.

I'm currently reading a book called "Red dust" which is a biography of a chinese propaganda photographer who went awol and went on a trip around china.

I also read wikipedia;
    Hails
    Seargent
    Seargent

Roleplay

Post  Hails on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Darke Academy: Secret Lives by Gabrielle Poole was definitely as good as I thought it'd be. I can't wait until her next two books are written. Very Happy
    Hails
    Seargent
    Seargent

Roleplay

Post  Hails on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:37 am

I read Dark Visions by L.J. Smith recently and have moved on to reading her Night World series, almost finished the first book and it looks absolutely freaking fucking awesome. Cool I've bought almost all of the books I've read, feel free to contact me if you want a loan of them. Of course, within reasonable distance.
    Not Jeff
    Flight Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  Not Jeff on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:44 pm

I am read the " A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin at the moment, a series which is being made into a series be HBO/BBC, and considering they made Rome together I am looking foward to it. Sean Bean is probably the biggest name to be seen.

Anyway, the books are great, not a simple, here's the task, there's the bad guy, kill him while completing said task. The series is all over the place (in a good way) and the characters are far from static/black & white, there are characters I now love that I hated before and vice versa. George R.R. Martin also seems to have no qualms about killing off character, regardless of their seeming importance, so that's fun!
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Number of posts : 1605

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:35 am

I never thought I'd post in this thread...

I've been trying to get back into reading a bit more regularly with some degree of success. I've read Brian Blessed's autobiography which was a cracking read. I think he'd write amazing old school books children. His love of life really comes across in his writing. Also read a book by Jasper Fforde called Shades of Grey, a book based on a world where the class system is made up by your perception of colour. I really liked this one as it had everything I want from a story in just the right amounts. I was gutted when I finished it, but I discovered there are going to be 2 more in the series so I'm gonna have to get them when they come out.

Next up is The Good Man Jesus and the Scone-Drill Christ. Cool title, hence why I picked it up, but I noticed it was by Mr Philip Pullman who wrote my favourite books growing up, The Dark Materials trilogy so I'll be interested to see if I still enjoy his storytelling.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:29 pm