Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Bands Changing Their Style

Post  mcmicken on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:52 am

Right, I thought this was a worthwhile thread to make considering it's quite a big thing in music across the board. When I say "changing their style" I mean evolving as a band, not genre-hopping as I know plenty of the bands Dio listens to do at will.

Some people consider it selling out and pandering to the mainstream to sell more records, some people see it as a natural progression, some people think it's the fault of the record company who put pressure on the band to make things sound more "radio-friendly". Whatever you think, I want to know (well, kinda...purely for the sake of this not being another dead thread)!

Biffy Clyro for example, having been around for a long time but only recently discovered by the mainstream have changed quite considerably from Blackened Sky to Only Revolutions but they still have that "Biffy Clyro sound" so I see it as a natural thing (with a little interference from the record label because of the Puzzle album being the breakthrough one :P)

As an example I'll post 1 song from each album and you can see how they've moved through time

27 - The 1st official single of the 1st record

Toys, Toys, Toys, Choke, Toys, Toys, Toys - from the 2nd album/transition single from album 1 to 2

There's No Such Thing as a Jaggy Snake - 3rd record

Get Fucked Stud - 4th record (one of my favourite Biffy tracks)

The Captain - 5th record (next single to be released I believe)

Any other examples would be cool, probably not as long as this one turned out to be...whoops :P
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Re: Bands Changing Their Style

Post  mcmicken on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:13 am

Right, normally I'm fine with bands changing their style because naturally people change so it's only natural that what they play changes. There is an exception to this rule however, when a member of the band leaves and is replaced. When the music completely changes, then I get upset.

One of my favourite melodeath/metalcore bands Sonic Syndicate split with one of the original vocalists Roland *insert Swedish surname here* (bloody good singer too...) and he was replaced by a British guy (Nathan Briggs I think his name is). Suddenly, music changes...same band? I'm not sure anymore...

Now I'm going to use the slow songs by them to point this out so no brutality

Exhibit A: 2nd album

Now maybe this is just bias but I really quite like the vocalist here. Bit of feeling in there, plus I dunno what it is but I really like scandinavian singers. The guy who used to sing in Scar Symmetry (Christian somethingorother) has an amazing voice!

Exhibit B: 4th album

Sounds like a totally different band doesn't it? Now to be fair they have signed to a major label now so that has had an influence on their music. I really don't believe anything the guy sings. He's not bad, but he's not Roland...

Oh, and a wee tit-bit. Guess who they're sponsored by and if this was before or after they signed to a major :P

Last edited by mcmicken on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:17 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Wrong song)
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:03 am

The Sonic Syndicate situation seems to have resolved itself somewhat.

The main screamer/founding member Richard decided to leave the band for the same reason I stopped liking SS as much, the change in style and general direction they were going in. However, he and his brother (still guitarist/founding member of SS) Roger, along with Roland (original clean singer/founding member) have formed a new group called The Unguided.

They've released a wee 2 track called Nightmareland just this Friday past and from the sound of things it's what should've come after Love and Other Disasters (the last SS album they were all on). I really recommend supporting these guys since they came from a band that was getting popular and decided to do what they wanted to do instead which is pretty commendable.
    Dastardly
    Seargent
    Seargent

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2010-11-02

Roleplay
    Guild: No allegiance
    Class: Saucy Sorceror
    Disposition: Disposed

Post  Dastardly on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Isn't it more sellout-y to stay with what has worked and not try new things or evolve your style in order to keep the fans you have? Besides, people's taste in music changes and develops all the time, and bands/musicians are not immune to this. If anything, their taste changes more!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:06 pm