Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Vanquish

Post  mcmicken on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:20 am

Cracking game I got for the 360 on Xmas. Been smashing through it fairly quickly, pumped in about 3-4 hours on it and onto the penultimate "Act" so I'm guessing it'll be a fairly short one.

It's one of your typical set-in-the-future over-the-shoulder shooters where you wander around in a magical suit that is awesome (or something like that :P). The suit we have hear lets you boost around the battlefield, to gain better position or to dart from one piece of cover to the next and also when you're getting your ass kicked with bullets it slows down time so you can cap baddies and dodge bullets more easily.

The 1st thing anyone will notice is how damned good looking the game is. There's so many little things going on all at once, and there is no drop in frame rate even at it's most hectic. The maps are really varied and are also well presented, going from battlefields, to bolting it across a falling bridge, to monorailing it into an enemy base, to battling uphill as big bastards throw shit at you.

The gameplay itself is slick as hell with the armour's abilities well utilised, it never feels like the game forces you to use anything but it's very satisfying when you pull off x number of headshots as you speed past the enemy in slow-mo (speed past in slow-mo?! Sounds like a weird one when I say it...). The difficulty (I'm playing on normal) is probably more on the easy side, which is not what a lot of other reviews I've read have said so I assume as you blast through hard etc, it'll kick your ass a lot more. That being said it's not so easy you can run-and-gun it without dying a lot. I play the cover game a lot anyway so it works nicely for me. Bosses are suitably getting bigger and more of a pain but unfortunately if you have a rocket launcher the challenge is short lived. The game's relatively linear as well, which I don't mind too much as it guides the story along nicely.

Overall, I'm a big fan of this one. Spacey-shooters aren't normally my thing but it looked so cool I had to give it a shot. Online multiplayer might've been cool but that's kinda nit-picky by this stage. Oh, and the plot/characters (including the guy you play, Sam I think) are pretty pish. Sam smokes a lot but never seems to finish a cigarette which can't be financially sound for the guy and Burns is just a big sweary army prick. Elena's quite nice looking but I don't think that counts as being a good character...

tl;dr

+ Excellent visuals
    + Slick gameplay
    + Effective weapon upgrade system

- Story mode is quite short
    - Plot is bollocks
    - Characters are pretty pish
    Dastardly
    Seargent
    Seargent

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2010-11-02

Roleplay
    Guild: No allegiance
    Class: Saucy Sorceror
    Disposition: Disposed

Re: Vanquish

Post  Dastardly on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Slow-mo rocket slides, dedicated smoke button, and punching robots. What more do you want in a game?

Just don't buy it for more than $30.
    mcmicken
    Bard
    Bard

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild:
    Class:
    Disposition:

Post  mcmicken on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:17 am

Aye, I agree. It's not got enough to it length-wise. And the ending was really disappointing.

Spoiler:
    I wish people would stop thinking that having someone killing themselves doesn't make for a dramatic end unless you have an attachment to them but as mentioned before, the characters blow

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:31 pm