Registration date : 2010-04-29

Roleplay
    Guild: No allegiance
    Class: MAN OF SCIENCE!/Head Designate
    Disposition: Adventurous, Curious, Creative

The King's Court (Forum Game Idea)

Post  shadowclasper on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Okay. Here's the idea.

THE OLD KING HAS DIED! LONG LIVE THE KING! The new king that is, the 17 year old son of the previous lord. The plague has taken the life of the previous king and the entirety of the royal family, except for the Heir. The players are the royal advisers. Perhaps the previous ones retired, or perhaps you ARE an advisor to the old king. Either way, you make up the new King's inner circle of advisors and must advise him on the best course of action to take in any event.

Each position has 1 vote on every issue, but because certain advisory positions are suited to certain tasks. For the listed type of problems for each position, that person counts as having voted TWICE. He can't vote for two different things, but what ever he does vouch for counts as having an extra vote

The (suggested) roles are as follows

Royal Chamberlain (vote doubles for matters directly involving the Court and Castle)
    General (vote doubles for matters involving military affairs)
    High Priest (vote doubles for matters of spirit)
    Royal Treasurer (vote doubles for matters of economy)
    High Reeve (Vote doubles for matters of justice and law)
    Court Mage (Vote doubles for matters of magic)

Special Roles:
    Jester (Doesn't get a vote, but CAN subtract a vote from any other player)
    Spy Master (declares in his first post of every page whether his vote doubles for internal or external affairs. For all problems voted on in that page his vote doubles for things concerning the type of affair he chose. If the problem was presented on one page, and he votes on the next, his vote only counts for double if the problem PRESENTED on the previous page, concerned what he chose on that page.)

These are all just examples (except for the special roles) if you can come up with a different rank entirely then go for it, as long as it makes sense :P Special Roles are special, and thus aren't likely to change, and you'd better have an AMAZING backstory and reasoning.

GOALS:
    Each player will be given 2 goals to achieve before the game ends, but in general, your PRIMARY goal, is to make sure the King does not die and that the Kingdom Survives, unless your PERSONAL goals state otherwise (and I won't be saying that there are people who will receive such goals or not).

Stats:
    Military: Using your personal forces, or the threat of them, to effect out comes. Military doesn't HAVE to be specifically armed forces. It can be a mage's magical prowess, or the ability of a High Priest to sway his congregation, it's in general, the FORCEFUL way of getting things done.
    Wealth: Taking the taxes and wealth you accumulated from your own lands and business ventures and using them to sway events. This can also represent favors owed or bought, and similar things, it's the SUBTLE way of getting things done.
    >Note: The above two resources aren't necessarily overt or sneaky specifically. You can make a great show of spending cash around town to curry favor with the populace, or you can send disguised legions into another country to instigate a war. In general, Military represents a threat or ability to harm, where as wealth represents helping, or ability to help.

Intelligence: Allows you to guess at the actions of other players and major npcs in the game. The amount of Intelligence needed to be spent is equal to the amount of other resource SPENT. Basically, everyone might know that Lord So and So's wealth has been spent, and he has less to go around, but by spending Intelligence, you can learn EXACTLY what that wealth went into doing.

Loyalty: This is BASICALLY HP. It is your reputation in the Kingdom and with the King. When things look to not be going your way, you can spend Loyalty to get heat off your back. If it turns out a significant amount of damning evidence comes around and you're about to be executed, you can spend Loyalty to avoid the consequences because "HE HAS A GOOD RECORD! These MUST be falsified!" or something similar. Otherwise, you risk losing points ELSE WHERE due to the backlash of events. You may be forced to be the host to the King's progress, forcing you to spend vast amounts of wealth, or your forces might be sent to a major war front, or somewhere way the hell out in the sticks where they can't do much damage. Loyalty prevents such things from happening to you. (It can also be spent to avoid the backlash from random events, like an outbreak of plague in your province, or a peasant rebellion or similar)

Stats can often be REPLENISHED through certain actions. Certain votes will give EVERYONE a bonus to things, and if a certain action is handled PARTICULARLY well, those who voted for it will have their Loyalty increased, while it might be DECREASED for handling it poorly. Obviously, it's in your best interest to expend points in Military and Wealth to ensure that things you voted for go off without a hitch :P

Format for characters is as follows:

Code:

[b]Name[/b]:
    [b]Title/Rank[/b]:(Earl and Duke are favorite, but lower ranks are possible)
    [b]Role[/b]: (either choose one from above, or make up a new one, special ranks must be run through me)
    [b]Stats[/b]: (10 points to distribute)
    -[i]Military[/i]:
    -[i]Wealth[/i]:
    -[i]Intelligence[/i]:
    -[i]Loyalty[/i]:
    [b]Description[/b]:
    [b]Backstory[/b]:

Things that you can be expected to deal with:
    -The Plague
    --->Halting the spread within your own lands
    --->Refugees from the neighboring kingdom, now totally collapsed
    --->Repopulating/Conquering the aforesaid Neighboring kingdom? Or helping set it back up?
    -Aggressions from the South
    --->The mountains hold back the invaders for now, but they are land hungry, and not all of the passes are known...
    --->Their pirates harass sea trade!
    --->Can peace be made?
    -Avalon, and the mysteries of the North
    --->Magic is ripest the further north you go, until you finally reach a massive coruscating wall of lights and smokes known as the Mist... past that lurks a land of spirits and magic, and their in habidents (Spirits, Faeries, Demons, their names are endless) are totally alien to our own.
    --->Can an understanding be met with this alien land? And if so? What kind of trade could bloom from such an alliance?
    --->Mages are said to be born from the magics that drift out of the hidden land of Avalon... and in Avalon itself it is said there are beings beyond any known Mage, legendary Wizards and Sorcerers ply magics far beyond comprenhension, could one be coaxed into working for the Kingdom? Or perhaps one would at the very least deign to teach a magic user of the Kingdom?
    --->The inhabitants of Avalon were said to have originally brought civilization to the continent, and their roads are still used to this day, our cities built on the ruins of theirs, and even today, the descendants of Avalon pray upon the populace, setting themselves up as gods, or simply as ravening monsters. They must be dealt with, either by force, diplomacy, or bribery.
    -Trade and Economics
    --->The easiest passage from our lands into the greater continent is controlled by a great kingdom planted in a basin between two mountain ranges. If trade is to flourish, they must either be made firm allies, or conquered utterly.
    --->The rise of the middle class is happening! No more is economy dictated by Lords and Knights, but by clever traders and burgers. You must cleverly deal with their wants and needs unless you wish to cripple the kingdom!
    --->Sea Trade is booming, but pirates lurk off the coasts, and hamper it. Do you bribe them into your service? Or perhaps stamp them out so they may plague your sea lanes never more?

Those are just a few of the ideas I've got brewing, so you'll have a variety or problems to deal with. The game ends when all player goals are met, or all players who haven't met their goals are out of play.

In the mean time, I'm going to draw up a map and a brief history of the kingdom and the nations around it, this thread is mostly to understand if there's any interest at all in it. If I can get four players interested I'll run the game ^^

Last edited by shadowclasper on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 5 times in total
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Re: The King's Court (Forum Game Idea)

Post  KingK on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Whats the goal of the game?

shadowclasper
    Seargent
    Seargent

Number of posts : 30

Roleplay

Post  shadowclasper on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 pm

My apologies, I had to leave mid post and hit the post button to avoid losing it. I'll add the goals of the game now.

Edit:
    Here's an example character :3 (he will not appear in the game)

Name: Clishay uno'Reginal
    Title/Rank: Earl
    Role: Grand Vizier (Doubles votes when scheming for personal gain!)
    Description: Tall, black hair, gotee, wears a funny hat, talks in a sinister voice, has a lab under the castle, sends up and coming members of court to the dungeons every once and a while for undoubtably good, if vague, reasons.
    Stats(10 points to spend):
    Military:1
    Wealth:1
    Loyalty:3
    Intelligence:5

Backstory: Earl uno'Reginal became the grand vizier under the previous lord. He is a reknown alchemist and a great scholar into disease lore, yet even his enormous abilities couldn't save the royal family, the Heir becoming the only survivor only because he was out in the country side when the disease struck and was kept under quarantine. Uno'Reginal has been the grand vizier for the past two generations, and has helped in guiding the kingdom for decades. All those who would contest his loyalties or position seem to suddenly have strange accidents, or are revealed to have commited treason. Everyone trusts Earl uno'Reginal for his stalwart defense of the kingdom.

(hidden from other players, given by the gm to uno'Reginal's player)
    goal 1: uno'Reginal seeks the throne for himself.
    goal 2: uno'Reginal must kill off at least 3 of the other advisors before the game is over.

Last edited by shadowclasper on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dio
    Quality Guy
    Quality Guy

Number of posts : 3606

Roleplay
    Guild: Goldengate
    Class: Profiteer
    Disposition: Jerkass

Post  Dio on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:11 pm

So it's like a mix of Mafia and SimCity?...
    KingK
    Ninja Pervert
    Ninja Pervert

Number of posts : 1276

Roleplay
    Guild: Sunrise
    Class: Spiritual Leader
    Disposition: Sarcastic

Post  KingK on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 pm

sounds like it.

shadowclasper
    Seargent
    Seargent

Number of posts : 30

Roleplay

Post  shadowclasper on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:21 pm

pretty much :P and players can die.

If all of your stats are drained to 0, then your character is assassinated, slain, exiled, or otherwise thrown out of play.

put up an example character, and if I can get at least 4 people interested here I'll put up a map and history of the nation >>

edit: edited the above rules to be more precise :3

possible alterations:

Military Becomes "Vassals" it represents getting stuff done reliably, but in ways that can be more easily traced back to you.

Wealth remains what is it, but it's less reliable, but more sneaky.

Intelligence remains the same.

Loyalty remains the same, with an alteration.

As you do crazed stuff, you wrack up Suspicion. If Suspicion reaches 10, something bad happens. Basically, you are either assassinated, executed, exiled, or otherwise put out of play, just as if you had no more points at all. Loyalty totally resets Suspicion for a single point, otherwise you can TRADE your wealth or vassals in attempts to allay suspicion (basically you spend your wealth and man-power in things that directly benefit the crown and nation, but don't benefit you at all. Loyalty is simply pulling reputation and rank to banish it.)
    Supicion would be a hidden stat, and would only rank up as the GM declared it :P So using your resources for things that are bad would rank up suspicion, and the rate at which they did so would go very quickly if you tried certain methods. I'm unsure about using this system, because while it's easier to do if we had physical tokens and cards, it's harder to do when routed through one person >>;

I'm seriously considering making this a card game some time >> like a fusion of werewolf (that giant game with 68 players max) and munchkin >>

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:45 am